At Century City Conference Centre and Hotel, we strive to do business in a way that uplifts people and protects the environment.
We’re proud of the fact that sustainability – with a strong focus on water conservation – has been an important part of our business from the very beginning. Our efforts have been incredibly successful, and we are committed to working even harder to minimise our impact on the environment.
For example, simply by using recycled water in our toilets, we’ve managed to save over 1.8 million litres of fresh water since opening on 1 February 2016.
In addition, if each of our hotel guests shortens their shower time to 4 minutes or less, we have the opportunity to save over 4.6 million litres of water by the end of 2017. That’s the equivalent of 8 days worth of the entire City of Cape Town’s water usage!
We believe that the biggest drought of the century deserves our biggest effort.
These are the measures we have put in place to help save water, since the moment we opened our doors in 2016:
- All bathrooms feature dual flush toilets, using a maximum of just 9 litres per flush.
- We use recycled water to flush our toilets.
- The showers in our hotel rooms have handy timers to help our guests time their showers to the recommended 4 minutes or less.
- Each hotel room features a water-saving awareness reminder, complete with tips on how to save water.
- The bottled water in our hotel rooms, restaurant and conference centre are bottled on site.
- You’ll be welcomed by water-saving awareness tips in the hotel reception area.
- The taps in our public bathrooms run off automatic timers.
- All of our staff are trained on water saving.
- The high-pressure showerheads in our hotel bathrooms have built-in reducers.
- 115 of our hotel rooms have showers only and no bathtubs, purpose-built with water conservation in mind.
We have also implemented the following to help our business conserve energy:
- We have installed a solar energy system on our rooftop.
- We partner with companies that are also committed to implementing effective water and energy saving measures within their organisations.
- We have selected only water-wise, indigenous plants to adorn our public areas.
- Century City Square is the first development in the Western Cape to have been awarded a 4-star green star Custom Mixed-Use Design rating bu the Green Building Council of South Africa.